Jill Thompson is an Associate Partner at Education Elements, where she works closely with districts from around the country to solve their biggest challenges. Some of her work includes Strategic Planning, Personalized Learning, School Redesign, School Leadership Development and helping districts think differently about how schools and districts operate.
Prior to working with Education Elements, she was the Director of Personalized Digital Learning at Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools (CMS). She was responsible for leading the CMS transformation in a highly complex, large urban environment. She developed a personalized data-driven model to provide professional learning and created micro-credentialing learning paths. Jill is a former classroom teacher, who has won multiple awards for being an outstanding educator.
She a graduate of Salem State College in Salem, Massachusetts with a Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education and Bachelor of Arts in English. She obtained her AIG (Academically or Intellectually Gifted) licensure at UNCC and at Winthrop University obtained her Masters in Curriculum and Instruction! She most recently received her administrators license add-on from Winget University.
Jill’s educational philosophy as an educator is to create a positive 21st century learning environment for students; setting the stage for their entire academic life. Teaching a rich, meaningful, and well balanced curriculum of skills and concepts through age appropriate activities, will encourage children to want to become life long learners. She believes in building upon a child’s curiosity and encourage them to pursue new knowledge. She also believes in authentic real world teaching that is innovative will help students succeed in the 21st century. The children we teach today are the future of the world; their goals and beliefs are taken from what we provide for them. If we provide a positive learning environment to all our children that encourages good values and high expectations, the students will foster life long learning skills.
Jill grew up in Syracuse NY and currently lives in the Charlotte area. In her free time, Jill enjoys reading, blogging and spending time with husband, friends and family.
Awards and Honors
- Launched my YouTube Channel: Talking with Edu_Thompson, 2020
- Published ASCD Article: Eight Things Teams Do to Sabotage Their Work, 2019
- Published eBook: How to Leverage Personalized Learning, 2018
- Google for Education Certified Trainer, 2018
- Apple Teacher, 2016
- #21stedchat #Bammyaward Nominated 2015
- ASCD Presenter 2014-18
- ASCD Emerging Leader – Class of 2013
- Named one of the top 25 North Carolina Educators to Follow
- Featured on the list of 100 Top Experts in #EdTech and #eLearning by BestCollegeRankings.org
- Technology Literacy Conference (TLC) Presenter 2013
- North Carolina Technology in Education Society (NCTIES) Presenter, 2012-2018
- Teacher Fellowship of Charlotte Class of 2012
- CATO Award for Science Educator, 2012
- Outstanding STEM Educator, 2012
- DEN STAR, 2012
- Bank of America Outstanding CMS Teacher, 2012
- Arts & Science Council’s- Cato Excellence in Teaching Awards Finalist, 2012
- Nominated for Presidential Award for Science, 2010, 2012
- Awarded iPad grant from Autism Speaks – Greater Charlotte Chapter, 2011
- Nominated for Leaders of Tomorrow, 2010
- J.V. Washam’s Teacher of the Year, 2009
- Terrific Teacher Tuesday Award sponsored by V101.9 FM and local businesses, 2009
- Nominated for the Employee Excellence Award, 2009